Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dress Up

Costumes make me happy. I enjoy the adventure of dressing up. When I was little my Mom would make great costumes. I think that is where I got the spark. When she was expecting me, she and my Dad had a Halloween party. My Dad was dressed as a Genie (His name was Gene, get the joke?) This was way before 'I dream of Jeanie' so most genies were male. Anyway he was quite a hunk and looked great in a turban, little vest and loose pants with a fancy sash. My Mom dressed as a Kangaroo. She made a big suit like feety pajamas and a bonnet with big ears. She sowed a pouch across the front and stuck one of my sister's baby dolls in the pouch just for fun. She didn't need any padding for her belly. That was me. I think I can count that as my first costume, since I was in there. We used to have a short movie clip of the party, it was so cute. Back in the day before anyone thought about political correctness, and people did offensive things for fun and got away with it, she made some costumes as an African native. This involved black leotard, tights, black face makeup and big rubber lips. In retrospect its pretty shocking. She went out with my step dad and two or three other couples all dressed up this way. Bars were still segregated and they would go to black bars and dance and make a spectacle of themselves. They report that the black clientele would laugh and enjoy it. I don't know about that. It would not work today, for sure. When I was about eight years old our church had a costume parade and contest. She dressed me up in that outfit, mini sized. Guess who won. I was called up on stage and given a trophy. That was my first costume win. I really liked the attention and the feel of the experience. I was hooked.  When I look back I am embarrassed by that costume, though. Great costumes were a disadvantage during trick or treating. One year she made me a little Bo Peep costume that was adorable and very detailed. The problem was that the moms at every door wanted to hear all about how it was made. Hey, that cut into the trick or treat time and slowed us down from getting to more doors.

Since then I've continued with the costume bug. When I discovered renaissance fairs and science fiction conventions, a whole new world opened up. I have had several variations of a medieval wench. but I have also been a proper middle class lady. The best costume for the ren-fairs was when I went as a leper. It was great. I wore rags painted to look dirty, I mixed oatmeal with stage makeup for my face. I waked hunched over and rang a bell while proclaiming "unclean!" The best part was when my friends, also in ren-fair clothes, decided we needed to stop at a store on the way for some snacks. They suggested I wait in the car...yeah right. It was great. Just going into a public place in the fancy costumes was great fun. We would call this "Freaking the mundanes". It is really interesting how people react to someone in costume. A few people smile and ask friendly questions and enjoy it. Some ask strange questions like "Are you in some religious cult?' But the ones that get me are the ones who pretend they don't see you. . .at all. What fun.

I still do Halloween costume contests if I am working at a place with a contest. Winning depends on the judges, of course. When I was at the Stardust in Las Vegas I couldn't do better then an honorable mention. Since the judges were guys form the security department only the pretty girls in sexy costumes won. Other then that I've done very well. I've been Joan of Arc. I borrowed a friends chain mail armor. This was when I worked at a savings and loan. I got through security sward and all. I've been a lady pirate at a law office, a dragon a few times. gouls, demons, and once before 911 I dressed as an Arab man. I wore robes, a burnoose and a fake beard. I stopped for gas on the way to work and told them I wanted to purchase back some of their petroleum product. It got a lot of laughs. I wouldn't do that now. The key to winning is in the details. I've won twice as a dog. I brought a dog dish with dog food (broken up oatmeal cookies) to snack on. The collar, the leash a book on obedience training all add to the fun. In fact when I won as the dragon I had a book with me titled "The Flight of Dragons" It also helps to relate to the job itself. Last year I temped at a place that used orange caution cones on the job. So, I went as an orange cone. I don't know if I will be working on Halloween this year, but if I do I will be happy to dress to impress.

Peace, Joy, Love, Happiness and the disguise of your imagination to all

No comments:

Post a Comment