Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Just Stuff.

Just some odds and ends that go along with other stuff I've talked about this week. We will be going to a small Halloween party here at our mobile park. I'm going a s a witch. Not very original, but I'll jazz it up. I got a pretty nice red witch hat in the discount section. For such a cheep item it is made fairly well. It is the typical shape, there are two rosettes on the brim and a lace veil all around. I'm going to add some gold beads and some spiders. I for the dress of the costume I will rearrange a variation of my pirate fest costume. I will also do the freight face make up I talked about before. Paul hasn't made up his mind. He will probably use one of the rubber masks we have. He still hasn't warmed up to me putting make up on him. I think some day he will, I can wait. I did tell him that to not wear a costume to a costume party draws more attention them to wear something. It doesn't have to be fancy. There will also be a pot luck. The park management is providing spaghetti, salad and bread. We are thinking of a dessert, but I see that drinks aren't listed. We brought a raspberry punch last year that people liked. I might call and see if that is what they need again.

On Wednesday we have a pot luck with our RCIA class. It was discussed if we need a sign up sheet, but most people felt they needed to think about it. We will get there early so we don't need to worry about eating dinner first. I might make my famous chicken pasta salad. It has protein, starch, and a little veggie. That way if everyone else brings junk food that pasta dish can be a main course. Then next Friday we have another party. Paul is going to make his stroganoff for that. The meat and sauce will be in a crock pot. I am trying to decided if the noodles should be mixed in or somehow served on the side. I don't know how to keep them from getting sticky. Hmmm, I'll figure it out.

I was watching a talk show today where they were talking about costume ideas. They brought up a very good point about being careful about not offending anyone with stereotypes. For example if you are white and decide to be a rapper or 'gangsta' (not a Prohibition gangster). Be careful not to make derogatory or insulting characterizations. Or if you were to wear an Asian costume  and to do it like Jerry Lewis did with buck teeth and thick glasses, that would be insulting. But you could wear a beautiful kimono and be respectful to the Japanese culture. Think about weather you are honoring the character or mocking someones race or culture. Just be a zombie, they don't get upset if you mock them.

Peace, Joy, Love, Happiness and Good times to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment