Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Potluck food and fun.

This time of year starts the rounds of pot luck parties. So many goodies ... and some baddies. It is fun to try new things and enjoy old favorites. There are usually favorite dips such as 7-layer or nacho cheese, or bread dips like spinach or artichoke. If you are lucky to have electricity for crock pots there may be chili or my husbands favorite, the little weenies in B B Q sauce. There are those tortilla roll up things, cheese and crackers and veggie trays. Munch, munch, munch. Oh, then the deserts! Cakes, pies, cookies and whatever sweets the mind can imagine and the tummy desire. But I have also been the witness of a few real clunkers. any food that pet hair, or human hair for that matter, has come in contact with. Things that have been way over spiced, over salted or seasoned in some weird way. I have seen processed meats that have been in someones refrigerator or freeze for far too long trying to be passed off on co workers or neighbors.

It is sometimes annoying to have a sign up sheet, because sometimes you just don't know what to make when that sheet comes around. I think it is cute to see a sheet with a few lines filled in with chips, soda, paper plates all filled in and then fifteen lines with the word 'something' written in. My favorite is the theme party. Halloween is next week and that is a lot of fun to showcase food for. Just taking ordinary pot luck food and adding food color or extra interesting ingredients can be fun. How about blue food color to potato salad? If it is the kind with that is yellowish, it could end up a sick green. Adding a Spanish olive to the middle of a deviled egg could look like an eyeball. One of my favorites is to take bread stick dough strips, cut them into three inch pieces. Roll each piece in herbs, such as Italian seasoning then place a slivered almond on one tip like a finger nail. make some wrinkle lines across the middle as a knuckle crease and bake. You will have witches fingers. Serve with a dish of marinara - chunky blood, and Pesto - call that what ever yucky name you want to give the green goo. These are great if someone just tells you to bring finger food. You have food that are fingers. Anything served in an unusual or imaginative way is good. A lot of party, variety and specialty stores have themed bowls and serving utensils. I have several bowls and trays with a web and spider motif and salad tongs that are mummy hands. Desserts are fun with the addition of gummy worms or bugs and crushed Oreo cookie dirt. Yummy! Happy tummy!

Some costumes, especially with a mask, make it hard to eat this good stuff. So make up is a good option. I wore a costume with a rubber mask, but I knew I would have to take it off at work, and because it was hot. I put on fright make up under it. I am not a profession make up artist, but I do know what awful looks like. I find that as I get older the ugly faces are easier to do. For me the best way to do it is to use basic gray, pale greens as a base. I use black or charcoal to make hard edges. I like to use my own lines, wrinkles and face contours to make it look real. As I said it gets easier as I get older. Then I highlight with a little red and pale purple. A lot of black around the eyes with red highlight in the corners looks cool.  Developing a real scary look is fun. Try opening your eyes very wide but keeping the the rest of your face blank. Don't point your face directly at anyone. stare at them from the side or tilt your head exaggerated up or down and look down your nose or through your eyebrows with the whites of your eyes showing. Remember to keep eyes very wide open at the same time. Practice in the mirror ... but don't scare yourself.  Have fun and bring happiness to others.

Peace, Joy, Love, Happiness and yummy pot luck food to all

No comments:

Post a Comment