Monday, September 26, 2011

Letting go of Stuff

One thing that my husband Paul has been working on, is paying attention to how things affect him.. He has been getting rid of music, music and games that do not feed his soul. Paul has had anger issues in the past. We talked about how listening to angry music, watching violent movies and playing violent games could inflame these things inside him that he is struggling to overcome. He has been doing this in stages as he feels comfortable letting go. I have not told him what to get rid of or even that he had to get rid of anything. But, when we were first married I did state clearly that there were certain things I did not want in my home. I absolutely forbid the use of the "N-word" in my home. I didn't want to hear anything with violence against women or the police. He could listen to those things out in the car, as long as I am not in there. That pretty much eliminates a lot of rap music.He has made the decisions himself. He also says that he feels the difference in his being able to relax and stay calm. We were talking today about heavy metal music. We both went through that phase. We find that it is possible to keep memories of the metal life without having to keep the CDs collecting dust. It has been several years since either of us has listened to any of it. The fortunate thing for us is that he found a few more pieces to pass along today. . . We bought milk and a few groceries.

I have looked at selling things on E-Bay, but didn't want to pay for pay-pal. I had heard bad things about Craigslist, so I didn't even look at that. We have been looking at what we might have at home to sell. Penny Saver ads cost around $8. So, I asked friends on Face Book what they suggested. Within two minutes fivepeople said Craigslist. Time to give it another chance. Last summer we went to Sear's and bought a large storage shed. One of those big metal ones. Behind our house, we have a good sized one, but we could use another. Unfortunately the park rules about where they can be placed have changed. The one we got is 6' X 10' so it is too big to set up. It has been sitting in the original box inside our other shed for over a year now. I put it on Craigslist for $200. There have been several responses already. Some have been less serious.  I'm sure well will have a deal in a day or so.

It has gotten me thinking about what else we have. Paul has been interested in going through his comic collection and taking them to the comic store. But when I look at him as he talks about it I can see in his eyes that he is not really ready to do this yet.  He gets so happy and animated (pun) when he talks about them. I'm sure there will be a day when he is ready, until then they are safely stored. I told hum how as we get older we don't always keep the same hobbies. From my college days through my early 30's I was so very involved with playing Dungeons and Dragons and medieval recreations/renaissance fairs. These are great memories for me and would love to go to a Ren-fair, but it isn't the center of my life. I told him to not be surprised if some day he realized that video games just didn't hold his interest anymore. He though this over and talked about games he loved as a kid. He thought some more about it, but hasn't made up his mind weather to believe me or not.

Tomorrow I will get into our back room to see if I can find some of my Start Trek memorabilia to sell. The memories are happy ones, the cash could make me happier.

Peace, Joy, Love  Letting go of stuff and Happiness to all

No comments:

Post a Comment