Sunday, September 25, 2011

Turn it around

There is just something wrong about watching Finding Nemo and having fish for dinner. Maybe I'll just have a salad. Then I would have to be sure not to watch Veggie Tales. Actually I have had a tummy ache all day. That sounds like I'm three years old. OK, I have a stomach ache. That sounds more serious then it is.Belly ache? Sounds like I'm complaining. That is not my intent. What I am going to talk about is not a call to action. I will be talking about the situation Paul and I are in. Although things are very difficult right now, things will get better when I find a job. They say the job market is turning around in my area. I'm sure with Gods guidance, I will find something soon.

With our very tight budget we have not had the money for groceries. This is not tragic. It just means eating what is in the freezer and pantry. My only concern is that Paul gets is nutrition since he has a very physical job. He is a picky eater, so this is not easy. We have plenty of fish and veggies in the freezer, none of which he will eat. With the few dollars we had from recycling cans and bottles from his job he got eggs and rice. He makes himself a mini casserole out of these and seasonings we have on hand. We have several boxes of cereal which can be eaten dry. I prefer Cheerios that way anyway. We also have oatmeal and protein powder drink mix. Also, micro wave popcorn to snack on.So, we will be just fine. Some people have kindly suggested we go to a food pantry. That is very nice and I am so glad that they are there for families. I can't imagine going through this with kids. Anyway we don't need to go there. Not yet anyway. I think even if we did I would feel very bad because I don't think it would be stuff Paul would eat. So, he has to learn to broaden his food choices. That, along with me learning to not turn to food emotionally, are some of the lessons I'm sure we are to learn here. God has his ways.

What I want to say about donating food to shelters and food banks is ...DO IT. when you shop and you see a 'two for one' and you were only going to buy one anyway, donate the other one. Most stores seem to have donation bins somewhere in the front. I used to try to use a few dollars for a few things extra. A bag of rice or beans are basics as are canned veggies and canned meat or fish. When I was on my own and struggling, someone kindly gave me a bag of groceries. I thank God for that, but I am sad to say that I couldn't use some of it. Some things require other ingredients. Boxed mac 'n cheese uses milk and butter or margarine, which I did not have, It doesn't really work with just water. I know I tried. I did eat the hamburger helper without the hamburger. A friend of mine who has volunteered at at food bank says they get a lot of stuff that isn't usable at all. A little past the freshness date is OK, but be reasonable. If it is so old that you wouldn't eat it, do you think someone would want to feed it to their kids? Give and share, you never know when you might be the one in need.

Just a note about why I got a tummy/stomach/belly ache. I didn't feel like bothering to make oatmeal before church. When I checked my garden I found a hand full of strawberries, I had those for breakfast. At church when I stepped up to the wine (Blood of Christ) I didn't think the cup was as full as it was so when I tipped it back I got a big gulp of wine. My nearly empty stomach didn't like that. I did eat some oatmeal later in the day, but that has been it. I have heard it is good for the soul to go to bed hungry. I will remember that I am doing so by choice. So many people do not have that choice. For them the emptiness is the normal state. At my very large size and the fact that I have had the selfish luxury of turning to food when ever I want, here is another very important lesson to learn. Thank you God for this time in our lives to learn and to connect. Turning adversity around to learn and understand is a happy thing.

Peace, Joy, Love, Happiness and a Happy tummy to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment