Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Seasons

I know it is psychological, but I am already thinking Autumn. I am ready for crisp mornings warm afternoons and evening breezes. Mmmm, yes.

A new thing I am trying tomorrow is that I will go to my first Toastmasters club meeting. It is a breakfast meeting so I need to be there at 6:50am. It sounds like this could be a lot of fun. I know that a lot of people join Toastmasters to get over shyness. Well, that is not me. I love public speaking. If I could be a motivational speaker, that would be my dream. I'm looking forward to this helping me focus my thoughts and organizing my public speaking.

The other new thing I have been doing is to volunteer at the Concord Historical Society. I had been meaning to get over there, but had been putting it off. I ended up on the committee at church to celebrate the pastors 25th anniversary in religious life. A few years ago there was another celebration where a time line banner had been displayed. It had been stored at the historical society archives since then. It was something that people on the committee specifically asked about having on display now. I picked it up today, I signed it out on loan, and it is in my possession. As I got a chance to look at it though, I don't think it is quite as they may be remembering it to be. It is a history of the founding of the church but has very few pictures and has large gaps in the history. I think it may have been designed for people to come and fill in the information and add pictures. Now that it is a historical artifact as it is, I can't let anyone make any changes or add anything to it.  A DVD is being made on the history, so that might just take the place.

The project I am working on at the CHS is to clip city related articles out of old newspapers that were donated to the archives. I am working in April of 1973. I was in my Jr.year of high school in another part of the state at the time. The articles are interesting but I really enjoy the advertising. A car dealer is offering a New Gremlin for $58 down and $58 a month. In an article I saw a reference to an average home valued at $26,000. Of course I don't know what minimum wage was. A help wanted ad was looking for iron workers. How long has it been since there has been a call for iron workers. (oh, since 1973, I guess). They were offering a wage of $8.00 to 8.50. The add also mention that there would be no discrimination based on race, color, national origin or religion. Now we take it for granted that those things wont be considered.

Even though I am looking for work. (Not as an iron worker) I am happy to know that superficial things can not be held against me. I also don't expect that any of that, or the fact that I am a woman will mater to the Toastmasters either. Happines IS next.

Peace Joy and Love to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment